header

26 June 2013

Meantime Brewing Company

 
 
If you follow me on twitter then you may have noticed my enthusiastic tweets about the Meantime Brewing Company tour on Saturday afternoon, and even now - after the samples have worn off - I am still pretty enthusiastic!

Tours like this can often go one of two ways, either they are laid back yet informative, or they are over complicated and akin to a sedative. This tour was very much the former. Led by knowledgeable beer sommelier (yep, that is a real job) Jack, the tour opened with two pitchers of beer and the line 'will that be enough? We can refill them...' - so far, so good! 
 
 
Beer in hand, Jack proceeded to fill us in on the history of craft brewing in the UK and USA, take us on a tour of the brewery and explain how the brewing process works (as well as why Meantime is the most expensive beer on the bar).  
 
Tour over, it was on to a tasting - which I would like to rename beer through the ages - where Jack talked us through a number of different beers from a dark porter, to a light fizzy IPA explaining how the beers had developed over time. It was pretty interesting to hear how beer has developed and changed alongside our society.
 



The tour costs £15 per person, which I think is really reasonable given its quality, and on Friday and Saturday nights they do a pie and pint night, which looks pretty awesome!
 
Now I can't profess to have any great interest in beer, brewing, the craft movement...however, even I found this tour pretty engaging and I wouldn't mind a Yakima Red again! My Dad and brother (both beer fans) really enjoyed it (both for the beer and for the information!). As I said before, these type of tours can go either way, and this one is a winner.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a really interesting and fun tour. Too bad I don't like beer :-). But I'll keep it in mind for people who do and are in town to visit.

    ReplyDelete