header

17 June 2013

this weekend

This weekend I mostly hung out, which is by far and away one of my favourite things to do...and it is even better when I get to do it across two cities in one weekend!

On Friday afternoon I caught up with my Mum in the Barbican Centre. This is one of my favourite spots in London and there is a great food hall which I would definitely recommend!

After some rather delicious apricot cheesecake I headed down to Brixton to celebrate the end of my friend Emma's LPC. The LPC is a seriously big deal, and its completion definitely needs to be marked! We celebrated in style, firstly at Kaff (this place is awesome, I would recommend the 10p mix cocktail and a pork po boy - yummy and a tenner in total!) and then on to Mahiki (this place is not really my scene, so I wont pass comment, but I did have a cocktail in a coconut, which is always cool).





 On Saturday I headed up to my parent's place in Oxford. Generally, when you think of Oxford, the dreaming spires are the first thing that comes to mind. While the colleges and academic buildings are no doubt beautiful, there is a whole lot more to the city. Now I might be a little bit bias, but I love Cowley Road, a buzzy area to the east of the city (although still a mere 10 minutes from the Radcliffe Camera), and it is where I spent the majority of my weekend!

First up was a trip to The Fibre Works to pick up some wool for a little project. This is a lovely shop that stocks some beautiful wools (I am a big fan of the super soft alpaca wools, and the neon yarns are pretty spectacular!) and in its short lifetime seems to have created a real community of local knitters through their twice weekly knitting groups. Plus it was nice to finally see the shop my Mum had been getting so excited about!




 




 
 
After dragging ourselves away from all that lovely wool, we headed up to Amy Nails for a manicure. The worst kept secret in Oxford, Amy does a fantastic manicure for the bargain price of £12 (my nails are now dazzling in OPI's gargantuan green grape). Oh and we managed to fit in a trip to the restore secret garden and café for a coffee in their lovely café!
 
On Saturday evening my parents introduced me to the Isis Farmhouse. Located on the banks of the river Isis and only accessible on foot, this is a pretty special place. Plus, I always like some taxidermy and fairy lights! The evening was rounded off with dinner at Atomic Burger (that would be my second dirty sandwich of the weekend after the po boy) the best burger joint in the area (that also happens to stay open really quite late!).



 




And that brings us to Sunday in my round up of this bumper weekend! No weekend in Oxford would be complete without a trip to Truck Store so that my Dad can pick his record of the week, my Mum can knit and I can eat my third dirty sandwich of the weekend and drink excellent coffee!
 
Overall, a pretty excellent weekend of hanging out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment