header

1 July 2013

Greenwich


One of the key stops on the 'magical mystery tour' that I put together for my Dad was Greenwich. Greenwich is a special place for my family, it is where my parents used to bring my brother and I when we were very tiny children, and it is one of those places that I feel like I have always known. Because of all our family history in the area I knew it was somewhere I needed to include in the tour, if only in passing!


 

 
When we stepped of the Thames Clipper at Greenwich we had no real agenda and a couple of hours to kill, so we did what we usually do and let my brother lead us to the pub. Nestled in the corner of Greenwich Market is the Coach & Horses pub, a lovely little bar that is a calm oasis in the middle of the bustling marketplace. It was great place to take a time out and listen to my Dad tell stories about places my Grandpa had drunk in Greenwich when my family lived nearby.



Moving on from the pub, we headed out in to Greenwich and started to head towards our next destination. The route we took meandered through Greenwich, along the river and passed the numerous significant maritime landmarks (the Cutty Sark, the Old Royal Naval College and St Alfege Church) - Greenwich has so much history it is unbelievable and it makes for a great walk!




Sitting on the river, Greenwich is a point where old (historic maritime lankmarks) meets new (the O2) and beauty meets industry - one minute you can be walking along a pretty little street, and the next you will be looking at industrial maritime paraphernalia. I love this juxtaposition, it reminds you of the real history of the area, and why it was so important in our maritime history.

Looking at these pictures (and really, the rest of the post is a photobomb from the walk!), I'm all inspired to go and spend more time in Greenwich, one of the prettiest - yet most down to earth - parts of the city.








1 comment: