header

9 March 2015

Paris Marathon Training - week 13

It's been far too long since I wrote one of these posts. Let's blame all those awesome half marathons for distracting me. 

To be honest my training has started to follow a pretty familiar pattern. One session of strength training that leave me a sweaty mess, treadmill intervals, run club, a long Friday night run on a treadmill and a long looooooong run on a Sunday. Pretty standard marathon training. From week to week the details have changed, an Xtend Barre class here, a race there, but really it's much of a muchness. It's become my lifestyle and I don't mind a bit. It's also why I'm really struggling to remember what week of training it is.


One thing that's changed is how often I'm training. I've gone from five to six days a week to four. Now my runs are getting longer I'm getting more tired. Or it could be that I'm tired because my day job has been kicking off. Either way I need more naps. In the last couple of days I've also stated to feel a lot more hungry. Up until now I've not felt any more hungry than before I was marathon training. After yesterday's 18 mile run I want all of the food immediately. The thing is I don't really want to give in to my runger, I know academically I don't need to eat any more, it's all psychological at this point. But I'd really love a slice of toast (with Nutella) right now. 


So let's talk about my habit of running on a treadmill. I don't know how much I've talked about it here, probably not a lot, but my life is pretty busy. I hold down a full time management role in the city. I don't work the stereotypical long hours and I've never been around the magic roundabout, but I do work hard, have responsibilities and rarely get a lunch break. When I'm not in the office I'm freelancing, writing for We Heart Living or blogging away, and when I'm not doing that I'm training or spending time with my loved ones. I love how busy my life is, it makes me incredibly proud that I can do all those things and, I hope, do them well. But it does mean I need to be smart about my time. 


One of the ways I've been smart during marathon training is to embrace the treadmill. Yep it's dull (actually my gym has TVs built in to the treadmills, so I get a rare opportunity to catch up on telly!), but running on a treadmill means I can squeeze my miles in around other commitments. I don't need to plan anything, I can simply pop down to the gym at work and run. I also find I push myself a little harder on a treadmill, I run a little faster and get a little more out of my workouts.  I've also been embracing interval training on the treadmill, mixing in sprint and incline efforts that keep my runs interesting and push me harder every week. I had to get over some of my indoor running prejudices, but for me it's paid off dividends. 


It's a bit weird to think there's only just over a month to go until race day. I feel surprisingly calm, although that's probably because it's still not quite hit me that I'm training for a marathon. Even during my 18 mile run it didn't really register that I was doing anything other than going for a run with my mates and having a lovely time (and my 18 miler was a doozie, 14 miles with no agenda through London and 4 miles as part of the Mud March organised by Laura and Laura in honour of International Women's Day), although I do know I'm in awe of my body for doing it, and I'm bowled over I can still walk afterwards.


Miles run to Paris - I've lost track and I'm going for a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it's all going well! I am in awe of running 18 miles too - that's amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete